Djokovic's campaign at the Tokyo Olympics ended on a disappointing way.

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic revealed that he has been playing under "medications, abnormal pain and exhaustion" at the Tokyo Olympics. Djokovic, a record 20-time Grand Slam champion, lost to Pablo Carreno Busta in the bronze medal match at the Tokyo Olympics.

Djokovic, who was aiming to finally win his maiden gold medal at the Olympics, finished his campaign on an extremely disappointing way. Djokovic apologized to Serbian sports fans for failing to win a medal for his country.

“I apologise to all the fans in Serbia who I have disappointed. I know everyone expected a medal, I did too. I feel bad for Nina because we did not fight for a medal in mixed, but my body said ’enough’: I have played under medications and abnormal pain and exhaustion.

But again, my heart is in the right place, because I know that I gave my all. I love to play for my country. Unfortunately, I did not get the result I wanted, but that is sport, we move on," Djokovic told Serbian reporters, per Tennis Majors.


Djokovic hints he won't retire soon

Though he has failed to win a medal at the Tokyo Olympics, Djokovic has still had an outstanding 2021 season. This season, Djokovic ended victorious at the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon.

Djokovic, 34, is still motivated to chase the biggest titles and break records. “Three years… Not that far, but on the other hand it is, since I do not have 25 years anymore” Djokovic concluded. “I do not see the finish line of my career.

Olympics, Davis Cup, ATP Cup, and the Grand Slams, those are the tournaments that inspire me the most to go on. It is a privilege to play for Serbia, I want to play in Paris. If I am there, I hope to win a medal."

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest

Previous Post Next Post